Mike prepares for a muscle-up:Skill
AMRAP in 20 minutes of:
5 Handstand push-ups
Reminder: Friday is your last chance to register for the Concept 2 Rowing seminar to be held at the Cleveland Rowing Foundation boathouse downtown. It will run from 9am to 11am on Saturday (the gym will still be open for those not attending the seminar). Funds from the seminar are being donated to help Cleveland Rowing Foundation's Boathouse Fund to preserve rowing in Cleveland after they lose their space due to the Casino. Your support is greatly appreciated! Register. The fee is only $40 for members or $60 for non-members.
Coach Justin Kershaw and Coach Craig Gates will lead us through a basic introduction of the erg, proper rowing technique, drills to improve technique, different approaches on the erg for strength, power, or endurance training, and off-the-erg exercises that target weak links in the chain. There will also be video assistance to demonstrate before and after improvements in rowing technique.
Justin Kershaw, as a competitor:
- Began Rowing competitively in 1979 La Salle University
- Dad Vail Regatta Finalist
- 1981 U.S. National Team (LWT) Selection Camp Invitation
- 1987 Malta B.C. Top (Oar) Athlete Award
- 1988 American Rowing Championship Medalist
- 1988 U.S. National Sculling Team Selection Camp Invitation
- 1988 South American Games Finalist
- 1988 Canadian Henley Champion
- 2005 U.S. Masters National Champion
- Medalist at many North American Regattas 1985-2005: Independence Day, Schuylkill Navy, Canadian Henley, Head of Schuylkill, Head of Charles, Head of Potomac.
Justin Kershaw, as a sculling/Rowing Coach:
- 1999-2005 Wilmington Rowing Association Coach
- 2007-2010 St. Ignatius High School, Men's Varsity Rowing Coach
- 2008-2010 Black Bear Sculling Camp Instructor/Coach
Craig Gates as a competitor:
- 1988 Varsity rower at Ohio State University
- 1991 Member of Varsity lightweight eight that placed second at Dad Vail regatta & first at Intercollegiate Championship in Cincinnati, OH. Achieved a record of 72 wins & 1 loss that season.
- 1996 Rowed for Thompson Boat Club in DC and again competed in lightweight eight & four
- 1996 Won two silvers in 8 & 4 with cox at Intercollegiate Rowing Association championships
- Have competed in sweep & sculling for WRRA over ten years, competing in races such as Canadian Henley, Head of the Cuyahoga, Head of the Ohio, & Head of the Charles
Craig Gates as a sculling/Rowing Coach:
- 2008-2010 St. Ignatius High School (Cleveland, Ohio) Men's Varsity Rowing Assistant Coach
- 2010 board member for Western Reserve Rowing Association